Sunday, 13 August 2017

Barkingside 1 Stansted 0

Essex Senior League, Saturday 5th August 2017

It was back to Essex Senior League action this weekend and I was over at Cricklefield forBarkingside against Stansted.
The hosts had only played one league game prior to this one, a 2-1 win at Great Wakering Rovers, whilst Stansted had lost their opening game at Wakering but had followed that up with victory at Burnham Ramblers.
Both sides exited the FA Cup at the first stage last weekend however so were looking to bounce back from that disappointment. The opening ten minutes saw the visitors with the best two openings however neither keeper had been tested so far.
However the following period of play saw little in the way of goalmouth action but as the game hit the half hour mark Side had a couple or chances in the previous few minutes however it remained goalless.
But then came a moment of controversy as with around seven minutes of the first half remaining the hosts burst clear and rounded the keeper but were then thwarted by a foul by the keeper outside the box. Red card everyone thought but no, just a yellow and the only thing that could of saved the stopper was a covering defender behind.
The home side felt hard done by and the resultant free kick was struck wide to add to the home sides frustration.
Their frustration in front of goal continued as they missed two great chances just before the break, with the second one from a yard out after the ball was squared across goal with the finish somehow hit into the keepers hands.
The Airportmen saw a scuffed effort saved by Hunt in the Side goal in the last action of the half but the hosts had created the better chances although it had not been the best game on what was a very bobbly pitch and the game remained goalless at the break.
The opening five minutes of the second half saw the visitors start on the front foot before the hosts were soon missing chances again, missing three decent openings in as many minutes.
Stansted then saw a terrific cross almost converted at the far post by Jack Sykes whilst Side saw a header from Eamon Payne fielded well by the visiting keeper and you wondered if either side would break the deadlock.
And twenty minutes into the second half we had our answer as the hosts found the breakthrough as a cross found substitute Michael Ogboin who sent a downward header beyond the keepers dive and into the net.
The next passage of play saw Side force a decent save from the visiting keeper as they looked to seal the win and they went close again when a dipping effort from outside the box sailed inches over.
However as the game went into the final ten minutes and beyond Stansted began to apply pressure onto the Barkingside back line and created two decent chances as well as see a free kick go over the bar.
The visitors continued to search for a late leveller however found the Side backline unbreachable and they held firm to record a battling win and make it two wins from two in the division. Not the best of games but the hosts won’t care a jot and although they lost Stansted can take some positives from this one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment